Monday, October 4, 2010


Last year, my husband bought me a new camera.  I wanted to graduate from a point & shoot and asked for a "big girl camera".  My husband must have thought I was a better photographer than I am, because he bought me a REALLY BIG GIRL camera.  A Nikon D5000.  It was way more camera than I was ready for and I felt overwhelmed.  I found myself secretly taking photos with my point & shoot because I was so afraid of the new camera.  And I felt really guilty about it.  I knew my husband wanted me to have the best and had spent a pretty penny and I wasn't even using it.  I also knew that I was being lazy.  I didn't want to leave the safety of my old camera.  The one I know how everything worked.  To be honest, I was lazy and the HUGE User Manual seemed too heavy to pick-up, let alone read.

So last month, I signed-up for a class that teaches you how to use your camera.  Not a photography class, but a class where you drag your camera and your enormous manual to the class and the teacher shows you the ropes.  Tells you what all those symbols mean, explains white balance and aperture and shutter speeds.  It was fantastic and I learned so much.  When I was using my new camera, I was only using it on the Automatic mode and felt that the photos were coming out worse than when I used my point & shoot. Now that I understand how to use my camera, I can really see the difference in the quality.  But, more importantly, I can't tell you how energizing it was to push myself beyond my limits.  As a stay at home mom, it's easy to go on auto pilot, to not learn anything new.  Taking this class reminded me how much better  feel when I'm using my brain.  And I have a lot of opportunities to use it now.  After all, I need to practice everything I learned about using my camera.  It's going to take awhile for all of it to become second nature to me. 

The photos in this post are an examples of using the white balance feature of my camera and playing with my aperture settings.  I can tell it what kind of light I'm in, florescent? sun? shade? and it will balance the color for me!  Do I sound like an idiot because I didn't know that?  Maybe.  But for anyone else in the dark with me, I hope it helps you too!

If you want to learn how to use your camera, and can't take a local class, check-out YouTube.  Just search the site,using your camera's make and model.  There are tons of great videos out there that can help you!