Monday, October 25, 2010

When it rains, it pours

We've been having very wet weather here in Southern California and, if you know anything about us, you know that the state practically shuts down if it drizzles.  We forget how to drive in the rain, we avoid going out.  I think we are part cat-terrified of getting wet.  I'm as guilty as everyone else and found that I can't even blog when it's raining.  My excuse?  It's too dark to take good photos.  But if this past week is any indication of how our winter is going to go, I think I'll need to build a light box soon!

As I hid from the weather, only going to out to buy food and pick up my daughter from school, what do you think I did with all my time indoors?  Cleaned the house?  Heck no!  I baked comfort food and sewed my little heart out.  I have tons to show you, as soon as I can take decent photos (ahem).  The good news is, the sun was a out a bit yesterday and I managed to get some photos of the Pineapple Upside Down Cake I made.

Pineapple Upside Down Cake is one of those treats that you forget about.  You don't see it often, but then you have it and you wonder why you don't make it everyday.  So good and sweet and comforting.  Mine slid right out of my well-seasoned cast iron skillet and I think it looks pretty professional.  My husband and I are always amazed by how smooth the inside of our cast iron pans have become.  I think they are more nonstick than any Teflon pan we own and I somehow feel better about not cooking on some sort of chemically treated pan.

While the cake was baking, I worked on the fabric garland I'm making to adorn my table at the craft fairs I'm vending at. It came out darling and I was able to use a good chunk of my fabric scraps up.  I'm always surprised when I do projects that tell you to use your fabric scraps, with no thought of matching.  Yet the project always ends up looking great.  Is it because I lean towards certain color palettes and designs, so my scraps match on some level?  I don't know, but it I like the magic it creates.  I'm thinking of making more garland to sew, but I'm wondering if people outside the craft world really "get" garlands.  It's a time consuming project, with lots of hand sewing involved, so I'm wondering if I should make more or not.  What do you think? 

That's my rainy day ramble.  What are you up to?