Monday, December 20, 2010

Advent Activities: Days 17-19

Christmas is almost here and I'm almost ready.  Kind of.  Sort of.  Here's what we've been up to the past few days:

December 17: Make Christmas Pizza.  I make pizza every Friday night, and when I saw this post, I knew I had to make candy cane & tree shaped pizzas.  I would have taken a photo of ours, but everyone ate it up too quickly!

December 18:  Paint a holiday picture.  My daughter loves to paint.  As much as I like to encourage her artistic side, I have to admit I try to steer her away from painting.  It's such a production to get out the drop cloth, paints, water cups...and don't even talk to me about the clean-up!  But it's the holidays, so we did it all and created some fun holiday paintings.  I'm totally in love with the reindeer and sled my daughter painted (it's at the top of the painting). I might do this earlier in the month next year and turn the paintings into our holiday cards.

December 19:  We made Mrs. Forrey's Butter cookies.  They are the cookies from my childhood.  My mom even lent me the cookie cutters we used when we were little.  (Sounds generous, but she held it hostage until I promised that I would bring a batch of cookies to her when I returned the cutters.)  I'd share the recipe with you, but then I would have to kill you.  I recently read that if you are short time for holiday baking, you should ask everyone what their favorite cookie is and just make those.  Both my husband and I voted these cookies as our favorites.  In fact, I'm pretty sure one of the reasons my husband married me was because he wanted to make sure he gets these cookies every Christmas.

I had a nice, relaxing evening last night.  Everyone else went to bed early and I stayed up alone, in the dark with only the tree on, eating my butter cookies and watching Christmas in Connecticut.  Does it get any better than that?  I know the holidays are for family, but those little stolen moments alone are wonderful too.