Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Cream Scones

I went out shopping yesterday to pick-up some props and get some inspiration for my Designer Showcase Table at CHA.  Unfortunately for my budget, I found a bit too much inspiration!  I picked up a darling, ceramic tiered plate at TJ Maxx and a blue & white polka dot measuring cup by Spode.  When I saw them, I instantly wanted them, but I tried to be good and not buy them.  I circled the store a few times and decided that both items would haunt me the rest of my days if I didn't buy them.  Do you do that?  Pick something up, put it in your cart and then spend a half hour cruising the store arguing with yourself about whether or not to purchase it?  Well, this time the little shopping devil on my shoulder won and I brought both items home.

As a gazed lovingly at my new tiered plate, I decided it absolutely needed some scones on it.  I became a woman obsessed and immediately went into the kitchen and whipped some up.  I even got adventurous and decided to tweak a recipe from How to Cook Everything, Completely Revised 10th Anniversary Edition: 2,000 Simple Recipes for Great Food and make it my own.  Do you have a tiered a plate that needs scones on it?  Here's my recipe for Blueberry Cream Scones with Lemon Icing.

Blueberry Cream Scones with Lemon Icing

Ingredients:
2 cups cake flour, plus more as necessary
1 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder
2 Tbsp. sugar
5 Tbsp. cold butter
3 eggs
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup blueberries

For the icing:
Juice of one lemon
Confectioner's sugar (approx. 1 cup)

Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees
  2. Mix the dry ingredients in the bowl of a food processor.  Cut the cold butter into small chunks, add to food processor and pulse until the butter is incorporated and the mixture looks like sand.  Be careful not to over mix. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl.
  3. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with the cream.  Add them to the dry ingredients and fold in with a wooden spoon.  Again, do not overwork the dough.  Just mix it in enough to combine the ingredients.  Add the blueberries.
  4. Turn the dough onto a board.  If it is too sticky to handle, gently knead in more flour.  Add the flour in small increments and remember that the dough should be slightly sticky.
  5. Shape the dough into a 3/4 rectangle and it into approx. 8-10 squares (depending on the size of scone you want.)  You can also use a round cookie cutter to cut-out the scones.
  6. Place the scones on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 7-9 minutes, until the scones are golden brown.  Transfer to a cooling rack.
  7. While the scones are cooling, make the lemon icing by adding confectioner's sugar to the lemon juice.  Add the sugar slowly and whip after each addition.  Keep adding sugar until the icing is thick but still drips slowly from your whip.
  8. Drizzle the icing over the cooled scones.  The icing will harden up a bit, giving the tops of your scones a delicious, sweet topping.
Get the printable recipe here.


By the way, if you put these scones on your new purchase, I've found that husbands are much more likely to be happy with your impulse purchase than when you show them an empty plate.  I'm just sayin....