Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Tea Plaque

I don't know about you, but the dollar bins in stores are like crack cocaine for me.  I can't walk by one without sifting through it and I invariably end up buying A LOT more than dollar's worth of stuff.  So, as I was innocently walking through Michael's the other day, I once again heard the siren call coming from the dollar bins.  I really did try to resist, but then I spotted some cute trinket trays and it was all over for me.

But what am I going to do with a trinket tray, one asks?  If you have read this blog for any length of time, you know I'm certainly NOT going to use it for trinkets.  But a crafty project?  Oh yes!

Since the trinket trays are monogrammed, I decided to use them to make a little wooden plaque for my kitchen.  I sifted through the bins to find the letters to spell T-E-A.  (Yes, that was me sitting on the floor, dumping out all the bins.  Sorry Michael's staff!  I promise I put everything back as neatly as possible.)  Then I ran over to pick-up an unpainted wood plaque and some paint and I was ready to go.

Here's tutorial:

Tea Plaque

Supplies:
Monogrammed trinket trays
Unpainted wood plaque, large enough to contain our trinket trays (Walnut Hollow)
Paint (Folkart in Soft Apple)
Glue (Aleene's Original Tacky Glue)

Directions:

1.  Paint the plaque the color of your choice.
2.  When the paint is dry, arrange your trinket trays to spell out your signage.  Make sure the trays are centered and even.  Once you are pleased with your arrangement,glue the trays onto your plaque with glue.
3.  Lay flat and allow glue to dry. 
4.  Hang in your kitchen and marvel at what a creative genius you are. (And thrifty too.  I spent less than $10 to create my sign.)


CraftGossip