Thursday, February 3, 2011

Chinese New Year! The Year of the Rabbit!

Happy New Year!  Around here, we look for any excuse for a party, so we are definitely celebrating Chinese New Year today.  I'm personally having a relaxing morning, drinking green tea and nibbling on almond cookies while I embroider a darling little pattern of a rabbit on the moon from Bustle and Sew.  I never knew that the Chinese see a rabbit on the moon instead of the "man on the moon" that we see.  The story behind the rabbit is incredibly touching too.  To read the full story and to get the free pattern, visit Bustle and Sew.

After an exhausting afternoon of eating cookies and stitching, I'm planning to whip up the only dish I cook that remotely counts as "Chinese food".  I am intimidated by anything beyond a stir fry and usually order take-out when we are in mood for Chinese, but this recipe is easy.  It's got a salty/vinegar flavor to it that I adore.  But I'm a savory kind of girl.  I could pass up chocolate cake, but salt and vinegar chips would have to be eaten.  I'll tempt you with photos here, and invite you to go here to download the PDF recipe.  Enjoy!  And may you have a prosperous new year!