Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Crafts from the Past

Whenever I go to the library, I always hit the Friends of Library Bookstore.  Sometimes there's nothing I want, but other times, I come out loaded down with more used books than any girl can carry.  Last week, I found a goldmine of 1970s and 1980s Better Homes and Gardens craft books.  I'll admit, in my early days of  crafting, I would just walk by books like this, but as I've grown as a craft designer, I've realized that these books are gems.  Yes, the colors and styles might be a bit dated, but the bones of good craft design are there and waiting to inspire.  I was even surprised by how timeless some of the styles are.  In the seventies, it was all about patchwork and returning to nature.  Sounds familiar?  Check-out this shower curtain idea from Creative Crafts and Stitchery (Better Homes and Gardens)

I think the idea, and even the photo, could be found on a modern blog. (Okay, maybe not the fuzzy tiolet seat cover, but you know what I'm saying.)  In fact, I'm thinking I just might need to make one for my daughter's bathroom. 

I'm officially addicted to old craft books now.  What are your favorites?  What projects have you revamped?