Monday, March 21, 2011

A Restful Weekend

A weekend spent resting and hiding from the wind and rain.  Reading, watching television, baking peanut butter & chocolate chunk cookies and listening to the my new, favorite album, Bright Morning Stars by the Wailin' Jennys.

As I was baking, I looked up the stairs and saw my cute girl, resting on the landing, reading.  She just read me an entire book for the first time last week.  After celebrating with her and tucking her in, I went downstairs and cried.  Cried with joy, pride, and little sadness that my baby is growing up.  I know it will bring new and exciting adventures, but I can't help but mourn those baby and toddler years just a bit.  I never would have guessed that motherhood would feel like this.  That every few months, you would look down at this completely new person and love them for all that they are becoming.  But also feel such a loss over the little person who stood there just a minute ago.  You can't get those days back.  I remind myself of that every time I think I'm too busy to stop what I'm doing to play or listen or hug.  I will only have these moments for a little while.