Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Cinco de Mayo Recipe: Easy, Cheesy Enchiladas

I thought I would share my favorite recipe for a quick supper.  We love Mexican food here-especially enchiladas, but they can be messy and difficult to make.  I've discovered a few shortcuts and now my enchiladas are one of those recipes that I make when I'm super short on time.  It only takes minutes to put the ingredients together and 20 minutes to bake.  I keep most of the ingredients on-hand and we have this almost once a week.

Ingredients:
Serves 4 (generously!)
  • 8 corn tortillas
  • 10 ounce can of Enchilada Sauce  (If you buy the kind of can that has the label printed directly on the metal, you can save it and make a cute centepiece too.  Just stick some flowers in it.) Check the heat level of your sauce.  They usually come in mild, medium, or hot.  Tailor your choice to your family's palette.
  • 1.5 cups of shredded cheese (I get the Mexican Four Cheese blend.  A blend of Cheddar and Jack is good.)
  • 2 tbsp. green chilis (Just get the ones in the can!)
  • 1/4 of a large, yellow, onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 tbsp. sliced, black olives
  • 1-2 tbsp.  heavy cream
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Spray an 8" x 8" baking dish with non-stick spray.
  3. Pour half the can of enchilada sauce into the bottom of the dish
  4. Lay four tortillas in the bottom of the dish.  It's okay if they overlap.  This is one of my short-cuts.  We're making more of an enchilada casserole-it's a lot faster than rolling individual enchiladas and it all tastes the same, no matter what shape it comes in!
  5. Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese over the tortillas. 
  6. Sprinkle green chilis over the cheese.
  7. Lay another four tortillas over the fillings and pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over the tortillas.
  8. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over tortillas
  9. Sprinkle sliced onions over the top of the enchiladas.
  10. Drizzle cream over the enchiladas. I know this sounds decadent, but it really gives your enchiladas a "restaurant-quality" taste.
  11. Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and everything is bubbly.
I serve this with a big, simple green salad on the side or on top of a bed of fresh, baby spinach (the heat from the cooked enchilada makes the spinach all wilty and good!).  We always have sour cream too.  (Which, as far as I'm concerned is why a person eats spicey food-as a vehicle for sour cream.)

Optional Add-Ins:  I also make shrimp or chicken enchiladas by simply adding a little cooked shrimp or cooked, shredded chicken into the filling.  Or try a green enchilada sauce!

 I promise you'll be surprised about how fast and delicious this is.  If you are really stuck for time, you can assemble it in the morning, refridgerate it and then pop it in the oven when it's dinner time.

Now, go pour yourself a margarita, eat something spicy & relax!