Friday, June 17, 2011

Embroidered Gnomes Napkin Tutorial

Summer is here and I'm in the mood for a garden party.  I was thinking of having a cocktail party, with stuffed mushrooms and some wine.  I'll set the table with my new Gnome Napkins.  Want to join me?  Here's how to do it!
Gnome Napkins

Materials

Set of four, cotton napkins
Gnome Embroidery Pattern (Created by me!  My first embroidery pattern!)
Embroidery thread
Embroidery needles
Embroidery Hoop
Large-sized Ric-Rac
Sewing machine and thread

1.  Wash your napkins and iron them.
2.  Transfer the Gnome Embroidery Pattern onto bottom corner of napkin.  I used an iron-on transfer pencil-my favorite way to transfer patterns onto fabric. To see my favorite transfer tips, check-out this video.
3.  Embroider pattern.  I decided to embroider each gnome in a different color for each napkin, but you can also make them uniform.
4.  Using your sewing machine, embroider ric-rac around the outside edge of the napkin.  I sewed it onto the back, allowing a bit of ric-rac to peek through, but I think it would also be cute to edge the front with some smaller ric-rac.

I think the napkins came out very cute and can't wait to throw my little cocktail party to celebrate the launching of my new embroidery pattern.  Want to come?