Monday, July 25, 2011

Create With Me


The big news around here lately is my recent publication in Create With Me magazine.  But it's not big news because of me....it's my daughter's first publication!  She's six and she already has artwork published!  It only took me 38 years to accomplish the same thing.  Seriously though, we both LOVE the magazine.  I think it's one of the best children's arts & crafts magazine out there because it has crafts you would actually like to create too. 

One thing I found really interesting about the magazine was the common theme in many of the articles about the need for patience when crafting with children.  It was relief to read that I'm not the only one who grits her teeth as paint flies and little beads are found on the floor for days (weeks even) after a day of crafting with my daughter.  I found out the frustration of taking an hour to set-up for a project, only to have it abandoned in five minutes, is not unique to me.  It was nice to know that I'm not the only one who bites her tongue as she watches her child make strange color choices. 

We do these things for our children because we want to nurture their creativity and we know the importance of being able to express ourselves through art.  And we might just learn a little something about color theory while we're at it.