Thursday, August 25, 2011

Books and Movies

This is what we've been up to at my house lately, besides being crafty, of course!

Watching movies.  TV stinks right now, so we are using our Netflix auto streaming like crazy. 

Exit Through the Gift Shop [Blu-ray]
My husband and I watched Exit Through the Gift Shop the other night.  An interesting documentary that makes you wonder, what is "art"?  We talked about it for hours afterwards.  Adding to our discussion was the rumor that it's not even really a documentary, it's a "prankumentary". 






Reading. I'm reading A Householder's Guide to the Universe: A Calendar of Basics for the Home and Beyond

A Householder's Guide to the Universe: A Calendar of Basics for the Home and Beyond
I love to read books about the sociological aspects of housekeeping.  The author of this one is pretty radical, but makes some interesting points about how broken our current economy is and how becoming more self-sufficient might be the answer to world change.





Room: A Novel
Of course, it's not all cerebral around here.  I just finished reading Room: A Novel.  Told from the point of view of a five year old, it's a unique read.  I love the beginning.  I don't want to give too much away, but suffice to say that the boy and his mom are living in one small room (never leaving it).  Could you imagine?  I'm challenged to keep my six year old busy and I've got the whole wide world at my doorstep.  She's a hero as far as I'm concerned!




We all also very much enjoyed this one:
Beauty and the Beaks: A Turkey's Cautionary Tale

Beauty and the Beaks: A Turkey's Cautionary Tale. It's a very funny story-you may want to get it in time for the Thanksgiving season. My daughter enjoyed the story and the puns.  I enjoyed the artistry that went into the chickens for the illustrations. 






What are you watching and reading these days?