Monday, August 29, 2011

Zucchini Recipes

It's that time of year!  Everyone is harvesting their zucchini.  And harvesting it, and harvesting it.

When I was a little girl, my dad had a fairly large garden in the backyard, and I remember lots of zucchini bread in the late summer.  My little sister used to call it "Bikini Bread". 

I don't have a yard large enough for a garden, but a friend of mine dropped off some zucchini for us the other day.  Feeling inspired, I searched around for some new recipes to use it.  Here's what I found:

Zucchini-Chocolate Chip Cookies.  I got this recipe from one of my favorite books about homesteading, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver.  I have to admit, I wasn't sure if they would come out.  When I tasted the raw batter, I wasn't very impressed, and I can usually tell if a recipe will be delicious by the raw batter.  But once they baked up, they came out delicious!  Really, it's a unique treat, and I actually feel guilt free allowing my daughter to eat these!

Next on my list was a recipe recommended by The Pioneer Woman.  She's one of my favorite bloggers.  (Did you know she has a TV show on Food Network now?  I'm so excited!)  She extolled the virtues of a Pineapple Zucchini Cake, so I baked it up.  I had high hopes.  It's definitely good, but not very sweet or like a cake.  I would say, it's more of very moist tasting zucchini bread with some cream cheese frosting on it.  Maybe I read the recipe wrong?  Maybe my pineapple wasn't sweet enough?  I may have to give it another try, because I usually trust Ree's recommendations.  If you try it, will you email me and let me know what you think?  You can find the recipe here.

And yes, I made both of these desserts on the same day.  And yes, we are sick of eating zucchini despite the fact that these recipes are sweet goodness.  But, when a girl is shredding zucchini, sometimes she doesn't want to stop.  What are your favorite zucchini recipes?