Friday, September 30, 2011

Cold Season Tips

Since we just finished-up with our first major illness of the new school year, I thought I would share some of my tips for surviving the cold season.  I can't promise they'll always work, but a little prevention can't hurt!

1.  Have everyone in your family wash their hands as soon as they come home. No stopping and doing something else!  Straight to the sink to wash off whatever you picked-up out in the world.  I also keep a small bottle of anti-bacterial gel in the car.  If we've been someplace especially icky, we'll all take squirt before moving on.

2.  Keep your medicine cabinet stocked!  Before I go school shopping, I go through all our medicine cabinets.  I get rid of expired medicines and make a list of what I need to have on hand.  There's nothing worse than being up at 1am with a child with stomach flu and no Pedialyte on hand.  We try not go out when we're sick (because we don't want to infect everyone else) so having everything we need on hand helps us be able to stay home and rest.  Besides meds, make sure you have heating pads, vaporizers and tissues on hand too! 

3.  It's hard to keep children still, even when they are sick.  I keep a hidden supply of new coloring books, quiet activity toys, and children's DVDs stowed away.  When my daughter is ill, I pull out something new and she stays quiet, busy and happy.

Those are just a few of my tips.  I'm not a medical professional, so I didn't want to give remedy advice (though I have a few!).  Do you have tips to share?

P.S.  Do you like my new tissue cozy (as seen photographed in this post)?  I am experimenting with hand painting wool felt and making cozies with it.  I will probably have some new designs up in my shop soon, but if you want a fabric one, there are still a few left here.  They are great for carrying tissues in your purse, or for your child's backpack.  I'm thinking the felt ones will be nice to take to bed with you when you have the sniffles.  Though, I need some expert advice.  Do you think wool felt tissue cozies would be a problem for people with a wool allergy?  I'm wondering...