Monday, November 7, 2011

Getting Ready for Thanksgiving

I host Thanksgiving every year.  I have a large family, so that means I have about 14 people sit down at the table.  It sounds daunting, but it really isn't.  In case you haven't noticed, I'm freakishly organized.  People make fun of me for it, but those are the same people who ask me how I get so much done in a day.  In my mind, a little organization, properly applied, can make anyone look like a superwoman.

And Thanksgiving is a great time to start being organized.  My family is really big on tradition and they really don't like any changes to the Thanksgiving menu, which makes my job easy.  A long time ago, I typed up the menu, made copies of all the recipes, and created shopping lists for the meal.  Every year, I just grab it all and getting dinner ready is a no brainer. 

This year, I'm taking things a step further.  I'm determined to use these early days of November to get ready for the holidays in general.  I'm looking over my stockpiles of spices, candles, holiday napkins, and the like, and seeing what I need to buy.  Then I'm shopping early so that I have everything in my house when I need it.  (By the way, my absolutely favorite place to buy spices is Penzey's.  They have the freshest, best spices and are so reasonably priced!)

How do you prepare for the holidays?

I had to share one more thing with you today.  I just found this game, Family Dinner Box Of Questions.  My daughter loves it when I ask questions that we all have to answer, and I was running out of original questions.  Now I have a whole box of questions to ask.  I'm thinking we're going to play it during our Thanksgiving meal.

Don't forget about some of my other Thanksgiving ideas too!

Turkey Coloring Contest (A very popular, yearly tradition at our house!)
Turkey Love Pilgrim Free Embroidery Pattern (Scroll down to my Embroidery Story on We Love French Knots' blog to get yours.)