Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A Perfect Day

Sunday was one of the most relaxing days I've had in a very long time.  The weather in Southern California was unusually wet and cold for this time of year, which was the perfect excuse for staying in sweats all day and cuddling up with my little family.

First on the agenda, was breakfast in front of the fireplace.  I love having a fire in the morning.  Most people usually do a fire in the evening, which somehow makes a morning fire that much more cozy.  If you haven't tried it, you really should. 

After breakfast, we dragged all our quilts into the living room so we could watch Howl's Moving Castle.  It was a fantastic movie that I can't recommend enough.  We all LOVED it.  Of course, all that movie watching and snuggling under the quilts made us hungry.  So I whipped up a batch of the Barefoot Contessa's Sticky Buns.  So easy and so delicious.  While I baked the buns, my husband made some Mexican hot cocoa.  (Hey, I didn't say it was a day for dieting.  It was cold out, we needed to build a layer of fat to keep us warm...)
The rest of the day was spent reading, stitching and bread making.  Yep-more baking.  I decided to do a trial run of homemade rolls.  I'm planning on making them fresh for Thanksgiving, so I had to try out a recipe. Is there anything better than looking out your window and watching the rain fall, as the smell of baking bread comes from your oven?  I'm thinking not. Unless, you split those fresh baked rolls in half and stuff them BBQ chicken.