Friday, December 16, 2011


Frane the Amaryllis.  Photo taken today.
One of our Advent Calendar activities was to buy an Amaryllis bulb and watch it grow. I've always wanted to force bulbs for the holidays, but have never been able to get my act together in the Fall to start the process.  Lucky for me, Trader Joe's had amaryllis bulbs already potted and started.  We bought ours a couple of weeks ago and it's turned out to be one of our favorite, new holiday traditions. 
Frane's sign
My daughter has named the plant Frane (pronounced Franny).  I told her plants like to be talked to, so she reads to Frane almost everyday. Apparently Frane is a big fan of Dr. Seuss, because she's growing quickly.  My daughter has been taking photos of Frane's progress and is eagerly awaiting the red flowers.  Turns out we have a regular science experiment going on here, cleverly disguised as Christmas activity.  I'm tricky that way.
Frane a week ago.  My how she has grown since then!