Monday, December 19, 2011


Journal Page by Laura Bray
Today I'm having one of those days.  I'm on a deadline for a huge craft project that needs to go in the mail tomorrow.  So I'm working away on it and, in between painting and gluing, I'm doing loads of laundry, fixing lunch, and trying to think of ideas to keep my daughter busy.  As I lifted a basket of clothes (for my 100th trip to the laundry room), I thought, "I don't get paid enough for this."  How did I end up with this life?  Sure, most of the time I'm happy that I can balance being home with my daughter and working from home on craft design projects, but on really busy days, I wonder if it's really that great.  When I'm really busy with a job, but don't get to go to the office or a studio and just work.  How great would it be if I could only focus on ONE thing for a glorious 8 hours?  Yes, I know the grass is always greener.  I know that there are women in the workplace who would kill to be able to work from home and be there when their children get home from school. And, most of the time, I do feel lucky.  But on days like today, it's hard to remember to be grateful.

So that's my little fit, right in the middle of the holiday season. My own personal Scrooge day.

Speaking of the holidays, I spent Saturday baking cookies and then on Sunday I took a little time to myself and sketched my cookies.  I wanted to have record of what I baked this year.  I think the sketch looks very Susan Branch, don't you?