Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Ribbon Pasta for a Play Kitchen

Play Pasta Tutorial
You all know how much I love to come up with faux food for my daughter's play kitchen.  She spends a lot of time in there, making dinner and breakfast for her dolls.  Whenever she has a play date, she can't drag her friends away from her kitchen.  I've found that little girls love felt and homemade food toys way more than those cheap plastic foods you can buy at the toy store.
Ribbon Pasta
My latest creation is probably the easiest one you'll ever make.  Spaghetti made from ribbons!  Here's how I made the set.
  • Empty pasta box with a window
  • Scrapbook paper
  • Glue
  • Spool of off-white ribbon
  1. Cover the empty pasta box with scrapbook paper.  I created my label with clip art I found in Microsoft Word.  (Or, if you want to make this really easy on yourself-just use the pasta box as is!)
  2. Cut ribbon into 12 inch pieces.  Place in box. 
  3. Let child's imagination soar.
*Please note!  This isn't something that is safe for small children!  They could definitely choke on the ribbon if they momentarily lost their minds and tried to eat it.  Remember, even if you child is old enough to know not to put faux food in her mouth, other children may not.  I always have a little safety session before anyone plays in my daughter's kitchen.  If I know a little one will be around, I put choking hazards away for the day. 

Stay tuned!  I've got some more pasta toy ideas to share with you in the next couple of days.