Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Romantic Homes


Romantic Homes Article-Chandelier Pillow by Laura Bray
Happy New Year!  I hope you all had a safe and happy holiday season. I'm starting off the year with some good news.  I have a project published in this month's Romantic Homes magazine!  I'm very happy about it.  Although I've been published before, this is the first time I've been published in a "mainstream" magazine, so it feels a bit different.

I have always loved to read Romantic Homes magazine. I would longingly look at their crafty articles, written by some of my idols like Sandra Evertson, and think it would just be the greatest to one day be there too.  Last year, around this time, I set a goal to get published in the magazine.  And then I dragged my feet.  I avoided submitting anything.  In fact, I created the pillow that is featured quite some time before I sent the submission query.  It sat on my desk, taunting me every day.  I so wanted to be in the magazine and was afraid that if I sent in the submission, and it got turned down, my dream would be dashed.  It was also far outside my comfort zone to approach an editor I haven't previously worked with.

But one day, I took a very deep breath, and sent an email query.  Once I hit "send", I felt better.  I told myself it could take awhile to hear back.  I told myself that if they accept it, it didn't mean I wasn't any good or that I would never get published with them.  Then I had nice relaxing lunch to celebrate my bravery.

And when I returned, there was a response in my inbox from the editor!  She told me the project had come at just the right time because they needed something for their Bed & Bath issue!  I was floored.  My husband said my voice was shaking when I called to tell him the news.  And now the issue is on newstands and that long ago dream (that I secretly thought could never come true) is a reality.

I'm telling you this story because, as you set your goals for the new year, I want you to dream big.  Believe in yourself.  Take risks.  Do things that make you feel uncomfortable.  Who knows?  In a year from now, you just might realize what seemed impossible in January has happened to you!