Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Crafting together

Last weekend, I rearranged my studio in order to have a  table in the middle that allows for about 3 people to craft together at once!  I have to say it's one of the best decisions I've made.  I always had a table in my studio for my daughter to work at, but the way it was arranged resulted in us facing opposite walls as we worked.  And only one person could sit at her table at a time.  Now we can gather around the table and it feels so much nicer.  My sister was here last week to work on a project with us at the new table and this weekend my niece took a place at the table. 

This all fits in so well with my desire to live consciously as a family.  Last week, I talked about our journey into healthy eating and environmentalism, and now I feel like we are taking the right steps towards supporting our desire to be creative together.  Again, it's a baby-step process.  Of course, I have a dreams of a large studio, with a big, beautiful, wood island in the middle where we could sit and craft.  But we can't afford such a table right now, not to mention the lack of room.  But I do have an inexpensive Ikea table sitting in the garage from my old studio.  It's smaller than I envisioned, and covered in paint, but there's enough room to work comfortably and the paint can easily be hidden by a nice oilcloth cover. 

Now I can sit and work with my daughter as she flits around my studio and works.  She's discovered my stash of samples from CHA and is having a ball with them.  Her latest addiction is Embellie Gellie.  I got some from the ScraPerfect booth.  It's a wax like substance that you roll into a little ball and place on the end of a toothpick.  You can use to lift up tiny embellishments and then release them easily onto your project.  I love using it because I don't feel like I'm a big bumbling, clumsy crafter when when working with tiny rhinestones and my six year old loves it because it completely overcomes any challenges she has as she grows into her hand-eye development.  (When my sister was over the other day, my daughter was explaining how the product works.  Maybe I should let ScraPerfect hire her to work in the booth at the summer CHA show!)  Okay.  That's enough "shop" talk.  I guess what I'm saying is, I wouldn't have the opportunity to watch my daughter experience these crafty discoveries  if I wasn't sitting across the crafting table from her.

Today, I challenge you to work on taking step towards your dream.  We can't always have exactly what we want right now, but there's always a way to find a sliver of your dream laying around.  You're creative, find it.