Friday, March 16, 2012

Support Your Local Farms: CSA

We finally took the plunge! I've been meaning to sign-up for a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program in my community for a long time, but it was one of those items that always seemed to fall the bottom of the list.  We are still trying to eat tons of vegetables around here, so I finally did it!  We got our first basket of goodies this week.  There was something so satisfying about picking up a huge basket of local fruits and vegetables.  My husband and I both cook as a hobby, so it was almost the same feeling I get when I go to the craft store.  I am inspired by the idea that I have this big supply of ingredients to work with and incorporate into my family's meals.  But it also inspires me artistically.  I could have taken a million photos of our basket this week.  So many colors and textures.  I want to sketch the vegetables.  I want to steal the color palettes. 

Why not challenge yourself and sign-up to support your local farms?  You can locate one near you by clicking on the CSA link in this post.  If you are local (South Orange County, CA), I recommend the program we are supporting South Coast Farms.