Thursday, March 15, 2012

Zakka Style Book Review

If you have a young child like I do, you are probably all too familiar with the little stuffed animal problem.  You know the one? When they take the smallest stuffed animal they can find to bed with them and then either:

  1. Wake you up in the middle of the night, crying, because they can't find the dang thing.
  2. Take you on a morning scavenger hunt to find the dang thing.  (It's usually twisted in the sheets somewhere or wedged between the bed and the wall, with all the dust bunnies.)
Neither option is my favorite way to spend the night or morning, so when I saw a project for The Little Pocket Pillowcase designed by Meg Spaeth in the book,Zakka Style: 24 Projects Stitched With Ease to Give, Use & Enjoy (Design Collective), it was the first project on my list of things to try.  It works great.  Now everyone is happy and secure for the duration of the night.  (There is also a little bear you sew to put in the pocket, but I need to make another small, stuffed animal like I need a hole in my head.)

And that, my friends, really tells the whole story of why I like the book, Zakka Style.  According to Wikipedia, Zakka is a fashion and design phenomenon that has spread from Japan throughout Asia. The term refers to everything and anything that improves your home, life and appearance. And I've found that's definately true for the projects in this book.  Easy to make and USEFUL.  Now if I could only find the time to make all the projects!