Thursday, May 31, 2012

Father's Day Cupcakes and a Rant

I had a little meltdown yesterday.  (Don't you love it when I start posts like that?)  June a is a crazy month for the Bray household.  It contains my daughter's birthday, my husband's birthday, our wedding anniversary (16 years!) and Father's Day.  Add the end of the school year activities and you have a recipe for losing one's mind. Did I mention I also have 6 design projects due before June 15? 

I (smugly) thought I had it all handled until I received two emails within one hour. One from my daughter's school, telling me about all the events (4!) that I need to attend before school gets out and one from one of her after school activities that also informed me there will be another 4 events to attend before the end of the month. So I crawled into a corner and cried.  Kidding.  But maybe that would have helped?

I pouted all night.  Then I woke-up this morning, took a deep breath and got my calendar and to do lists organized and am feeling better.I had to remind myself that the reason I work for myself is so that I can attend all these events for my daughter.  I had to remind myself about our family goals and lifestyle and then cut some of the activities that aren't really in line with how we want to spend our time.  Most importantly, I had to remind myself that I don't have to be perfect.  I'm allowed to take short cuts.   When I release myself from perfection and focus on what really matters to me and my family, I find that it's easy to decide how to spend my time.  It's more important to me to make a homemade cake than attend some of the functions that are going on.  And I know my husband and daughter are going to like eating it more than dragging out to do something none of us want to do.

And on that note, I must leave you.  But I thought I would share a Father's Day project from the past.  Cute Father's Day Cupcake holders.  You can read the original post here.  Enjoy!