Friday, May 18, 2012

How to Clean Your Closet

This past week, I've been cleaning out my closet. I am finally ready to let go of the last of my pre-baby clothes. (Which is ridiculous considering my "baby" is six years old.) It's been a difficult journey.  As many of my long time readers know, I used to be a career gal.  I also used to be about 50 pounds lighter.  I have held onto too many clothes, telling myself I would lose weight and fit in them. 

Lately, I've really been working on changing my mindset about my weight issues and my self-esteem.  I am finally able to face the fact that keeping an entire closet full of clothes that don't fit me, doesn't motivate me to lose weight, but is actually keeping me from losing weight.  Every time I walk into that closet, I berate myself for not fitting into any of those clothes.  That kind of a thing weighs on a girl.  Which might make said girl emotionally eat. 

So I took a deep breath and went at it with a vengeance.  I am giving away a ton of clothes.  Clothes that don't fit my body or my lifestyle anymore.  And I already feel lighter.  I walk into my half empty closet and know that every single piece of clothing I see fits me.  That feels pretty good.

Now, to explain the owls you see in this post...they are made from some of my too small, but too cute flannel pajamas!  Somehow, using something from my old life, in my new crafty life just seemed right. 

If I've inspired you to clean out your closet, I recommend reading this post on the Simple Mom website.  It has some great, down to earth tips that I implemented in my closet overhaul.  I promise to share before and after photos once my closet is completed!