Monday, May 21, 2012

Weekend Getaway: Escondido, California

Queen Califia's Magical Circle Garden
We escaped this weekend.  Just a quick, two day, one night trip to Escondido, California.  Yet, we packed a lot into those two short days and we all feel rested and relaxed.  I thank my lucky stars we live within driving distance of so many wonderful vacation spots.

Taking time to reconnect as family was really the best way to spend a weekend.  Here's an overview of what we did:

1.  Rocked out in the car to the music of Justin Roberts.  Pop Fly is an album filled with lyrics that speak to both parents and children and the music totally rocks.  After just finishing a season of T-Ball, I couldn't stop laughing at the lyrics of the title song, Pop Fly.  You can watch the video here.

2.  Went to Queen Califia's Magical Circle Garden.  Amazing.

3.  Had a picnic in the park.  My daughter has always wanted to have a picnic "on the ground".  We usually eat at picnic tables, she got her wish this trip.  And the homemade calzones and fresh cherries were gobbled up!

4.  Stayed at the Rancho Bernardo Inn.  My daughter had calamari for the first time and loves it.  The trick to getting your children to try new things?  Don't tell them what it is until AFTER they declare they like it.

5.  Swam at the hotel pool a lot.  My daughter finally mastered swimming under water.

6.  I feel even more in love with this handsome devil.

7.  Ate my favorite breakfast.

Really.  A girl can't complain.  How was your weekend?

I made up a little trip sheet about our adventure at the sculpture garden for you to download.  It's full of my tips for a super fun day.  Download the PDF here and then go!