Monday, August 13, 2012

Macaroni and Cheese

Macaroni and Cheese
I love macaroni and cheese.  In fact, it was the first meal I ever learned to cook.  Of course it was the kind from a box, but I was so proud of myself.  My mom was pretty smart to walk me through the instructions, because once I knew how to do it, I would whip up a batch of easy macaroni and cheese whenever she needed some help getting dinner on.
A watched pot never boils.
Following in that tradition, I taught my daughter how to make macaroni and cheese last week.  Being the cooking fool I am, I taught her how to make macaroni and cheese from scratch.  She's seven years old and now knows how to make a roux. I can't wait to see what she will be capable of making for dinner in a couple of years.  I don't think she's as impressed about the roux as she was about putting chunks of cheese into the food processor to shred.  (I hate to admit it, but I often buy the bags of shredded cheese and I think she didn't realize how shredded cheese "got made".)
We made our macaroni and cheese using The Barefoot Contessa's recipe.  It makes a ton and our little family of three people ate half and then froze the rest for one of those crazy nights in the future when there's no time to make a proper meal.  I feel good knowing it's in there, waiting for us.  Or maybe I'll cut a square and stick in my daughter's school lunch (cause school's coming up).  I can probably put it in when it's frozen and it will be ready to eat when lunch time rolls around.

What's the first meal you ever cooked?

Psst....If you are a regular and observant reader, you may have noticed that my counter tops got an upgrade from white tile to granite.  We are, ever so slowly, upgrading our kitchen.  These are changes I've wanted to make for 15 years!  I'll be sure to share the before and after shots once it's done!