Friday, August 10, 2012

Refrigerator Pickles

When I was a little girl, my dad has a large garden and grew many, many cucumbers.  My mom would make pickles and can them.  I remember days of canning.

Now, I'll admit, I'm a bit afraid to can food.  I'm sure I'll get over it eventually, but until then, there's no reason my family can't enjoy homemade pickles.  Any canning recipe can be used for a refrigerator recipe.  You just can't keep it the cupboard.  It needs to be eaten with 2-4 weeks and needs to be kept in the fridge at all times.

When our farm basket was filled with pickling cucumbers and dill last week, I searched the web, found this recipe from A Couple Cooks, and made a batch of pickles.  They were so easy to make so delicious.  I made them on Tuesday and they are already almost gone.  Something tells me there will be a lot of pickles in our future.
When I was composing this post, I was wishing I had some photos of my mom's pickles and of her working on her pickles all those years ago.  That's the great thing about digital photography now, we take so many more pictures.  Pictures of every day life.  Pictures of things we craft and cook.  When our children are adults, remembering a favorite everyday moment of recipe, many of them will be able to pull out one of our photos.  At least they will if their moms were bloggers!