Monday, September 24, 2012

Reusable Fabric Lunch Bag

Remember the super cute fabric lunch sack I made my daughter last year?  Well, I didn't want to tell you this, but she lost in only 2 days!  All that hard work and details like pin tucks and fancy lining.  Gone.  Probably in the school trash.  I still want my daughter to have reusable bags, but I need to come terms with the fact that they are probably going to be temporary.  So I decided to make my own version of the lunch sack.  One that is SUPER easy to make, because I have a feeling I'm going to be making them every couple of weeks.

Isn't this a cute little tag? I hope it makes my daughter smile at snack time!
  1. Fold the top (short) edge of the fabric over a 1/4" press, and sew in place.
  2. Cut VELCRO(R) Brand Sew-On fasteners to 7" and pin each side of the strip to the top edge of the pieces of fabric.  Sew in place.
  3. Using a fabric marker, write your child's name on the piece of the fabric that will serve as the front the bag.  (Hope springs eternal.  Maybe when she loses it this time, it will be returned.)
  4.  Place right sides of the bag together.  Make sure the top sides (with the VELCRO(R) Brand  fasteners are together.  Pin in place.  Sew around the two sides and bottom of the bag.  Leave the top open.
  5. Create gussets.  (If you don't know how to do that, I'm currently working on finding a link to a video I did about that, so I'll get that up soon!)
  6. Turn right side out, fill with snacks and hope that the bag comes home.  Know in your heart that it won't, but relax when you think about how easy it was to make this one!