Pioneer Days


Whew! November was a busy month! It started with the Clark County Open Studios Tour and ended with Thanksgiving. In between, I turned 50. I've spent the last few days processing all of it and preparing for my Winter Sabbatical.

One of the things I want to do during my sabbatical is to work on my writing, so you will likely find me here more often. The other night, I decided to visit a couple of my favorite bloggers. They are some of the only folks I've followed consistently through all my (12 ?) years of blogging. They are also the only ones I read who have held steady with the original format of blogging. No pop-up ads, no fancy video tutorials, no awkward writing to meet SEO requirements. Their blogs are a simple journal of a life well-lived; of women bringing connection, inspiration, and intention to their writing. I never walk away from their blogs feeling like I'm missing out or envious. Instead I walk away feeling inspired to find my own path, as if I just sat down for a quick cup of coffee with a friend to catch-up. I want that welcoming feeling, that honesty, here in my little corner of the web.

I do think I've managed to avoid the pop-up advertising, but I worry that I can be too heavy-handed with advice and how-to's. I'm working on finding a way to inspire you to be more creative in your daily life, to take care of your creativity (the best kind of self-care), without sounding like MY way is the ONLY way.

Do you ever feel like a pioneer in this technical world? I am often at a loss as to how find my way here and use this new territory for the greatest good of both myself and others. Where is the sweet spot between sharing a recipe I really love versus making you feel bad because you don't have time to make bread from scratch? I suppose it really comes down to intention. To approaching this from a place of simply sharing the recipe because it was something I made and you might like it too, not because my editorial calendar says I need to share a recipe. As for you, my sweet reader, I would like you to read my blog from a place of tenderness for yourself. I want my content to feel like a letter from a dear friend, telling you how I'm spending my days, sharing crafts, housekeeping, and recipes with you. Sending you virtual postcards from places I travel. These are not missives telling you that you are doing "it" wrong. They are simply a way for me to find connection.

I'm grateful to those of you who have stuck around here. If I have ever made you feel the way my favorite bloggers make me feel, I will be one happy girl.

As for those favorite bloggers? They are Alicia Paulson of Posie Gets Cozy and Heather Bruggeman of North Ridge Farm (formerly Beauty That Moves). Thanks to both of you for always being a soft space to land in this wild, technical world.

Comments

Popular Posts