Happy Mother's Day


This is my second mother's day. Having my daughter changed my life completely. As some of you know, I was once a financial controller and then had my own HR consulting firm. My husband and I never planned on having children and went so far as to get him a little operation to make sure we didn't!

Just over 3 years ago, I got pregnant. The chances of having a vasectomy fail are about 1 in 1000. We beat some pretty serious odds. I won't lie-the news was very traumatic. Both my husband and I had a very specific plan for our life together & children just weren't in the picture. We decided that we couldn't argue fate and worked on accepting this major change in our lives.

Of course, I'm incredibly happy to have Olivia in my life now. She is a joy and her very presence has taught me to relax, slow down & find my creative side. I will celebrate my new role as a mother on Sunday and marvel at how this role has changed my life in so many wonderful & unexpected ways.

On the flip side, I still have a great admiration for the women who choose not to become mothers. I remember the rude comments and misunderstanding of people who think everyone should experience parenthood. You are the people who have time to nurture the world. In some way, you are mothering someone who needs you right now. Those of us have who have children don't always have the time to take care of people outside our family. We need you and I honor you as well on Mother's Day. Please take time Sunday to honor all women and their roles as nurturers. Happy Mother's Day!

Comments

Holly Loves Art said…
Hello my friend,

What a sweet photo and I loved what you wrote. Wow... I must say I got a little teary eyed over your thoughts on NOT being a mother. I have never had the desire to have children and do find it interesting how many people just automatically think that is what women are supposed to do. And boy do I admire the ones who do decide to become parents. Thank you for those kind words and understanding that not everyone in the world thinks the same way.

What an amazing story about your little girl. She's truly a miracle baby. Happy belated Mother's Day to you!

Holly
thank you! I am childless and love what you said about not being a mother...I feel I nuture some child in my extended family on a daily basis...thanks again for your acknowledgment! Gail

Popular Posts