Collections


Artsy Mama, one of my favorite blog writers, is currently giving out prompts to jump start creativity. Her inspiration is the book, Foolsgold

The latest prompt was about collections. I was a great collector as a child. One of my favorite collections was my rock collection. Yes, rock collection. I loved to take out all my rocks and wash them. I loved the deep, rich colors they would become when they were wet & was always disappointed that the colors didn't stay that way when the rocks dried.

The prompt made remember the collection and the fact that I had a really cool little box from my dad of some rocks that I treasured as a child. I went hunting in my garage, in my PJs and found it. Isn't it cool? Even the old, worn box is beautiful. I'm thinking of framing it in a shadow box and hanging it up in my house. It will remind of my childhood.

I don't collect rocks anymore. Well, my husband would dispute that, it's just that the rocks I like now are a bit more expensive-you know diamonds, rubies, that kind of thing!

Comments

BellaColle said…
Aww. I like your rocks! That would be neat to make something so you can remember your youth... I didn't collect much then, I do now much to my hubbies shagrin! lol!... blue willow...door knobs...handmade jewelry...hmmmm
Anonymous said…
I have a loarge mason jar in the garage filled with rockes and stones too. I loved crystals the best. My Dad also got me into stamp collecting as well. Still have em'

~Michelle Cummings
Oh my gosh, how fun to think about collections! Like your rocks, by the way! As a child I used to collect stamps, &--this is weird--clothing label tags. I don't have the tags anymore. I do use the stamps now in my crafty projects. And NOW-A-DAYS, (jeesh!) I collect bottle caps, buttons, & am attracted to mirrors, clocks, lamps, fabric & anything pink! Oh, & ALL THAT STUFF collects dust!!
Kel said…
Thank you for your kind comment on my blog - keep facing that handwriting demon! I love your rock box - I agree about the tatty old box having its own beauty. I have this very cool platter that is made of pebbles set in clear resin, it makes me think of a streambed - they've kept their look of fresh wet stones. I'll see if I can post a picture later.
Jane said…
That rock box would look fantastic in a shadow box!

Popular Posts